For the longest time, I had a sweatshirt that I loved – maybe you have one too. It was one of those items that after years of being worn, there was just something about it that made it a perfect fit. It was the ‘go to’ wear on pretty much all occasions. However, time has a way, whether it be wearing or washing, that enough holes declared, “No more.” It was a sad day when I finally had to give up the illusion that it would last me right into eternity (I had planned on wearing it at the pearly gates. Oh well.).
Now, why do I write that? Because our lives and faith can become much like this old sweatshirt – ratty, worn, washed, and needing to be discarded.
I recently came across an article that posted multiple ways to becoming a ‘worthless’ Christian. I know that may sound harsh, but I thought I would share a few of them and add some additional thoughts for us to consider.
1) Don’t listen to others but rather speak your opinion first. And yet, James instructs that we are to first listen (James 1:19) before ever sharing an opinion.
2) Don’t process actions, but be quickly angered. How often have we jumped to conclusions without first seeking to understand?
3) Tolerate filth and unwholesome things; don’t dwell on God’s Word. This one concerns me because so many have now re-written God’s Truth in light of their own wants and preferences. Anything can be justified, can’t it? But it doesn’t make it right.
4) Talk a lot about what needs to be done, but never do anything about it. We are all called to be doers of God’s truths, not just hearers of it.
5) Assume that you’re doing just fine; be comfortable in your religion.
6) Look normal.
The bottom line is that the life of a worthless Christian is characterized by selfishness and a faith that is focused on their own personal growth. The Bible, however, speaks to the contrary of this: The life of a faithful, God-fearing Christian is characterized by a selflessness and a faith that is focused on personal sacrifices for the love of God and for others.
So, are you becoming what God so desires in being a true child of His on this side of Heaven?