How To Take Your LIFE Group Online
Right now, the world is looking for hope and we have an unprecedented opportunity to provide it. Your LIFE Group is now more important than ever. By keeping our congregation connected you can offer the care, support, and community that everyone needs, especially right now. Of course, we’ll need to adjust the way that we stay connected as conditions change. Our team is doing our best to make sure you have the best next steps and resources to successfully move your LIFE Group online during this season.
Your group IS the church—on behalf of Pastor Keith and all of our LIFE Group Pastors we pray for you and your impact to the body of Celebrate Church. Let’s get started!
HOW SHOULD OUR GROUP MEET?
Be sensitive to the concerns of your LIFE Group members. Everyone is reacting a little differently to the circumstances, so make sure your group members are comfortable with whatever you decide to do. What’s most important is to stay connected with everyone throughout the week.
Here are some options to consider about meeting:
- If your small group is less than 10, you can feel free to meet based on your group’s comfort level.
- If your group isn’t comfortable meeting together or the circumstances change to no group meetings of any size, you can still meet online! See below.
HOW CAN WE TAKE OUR LIFE GROUP ONLINE?
1. PICK A PLATFORM
2. UNDERSTAND HOW A NORMAL GROUP TIME WILL LOOK ONLINE
- Welcome everyone. People will be late online, just as your in-person group, so build in some buffer time to catch up in the beginning.
- Warm up the group by getting people to use the “Mute” and “Unmute” button. Ask an icebreaker question. Let everyone answer the question.
- Share prayer requests and be ready to pause on someone going through a tough season. Don’t rush through this time together online.
- End the video meeting with prayer.
3. GENERAL TECH TIPS FOR A SMOOTH ONLINE LIFE GROUP
- Have the primary light in your house shining onto your face (sunlight from a window or lamp) and not behind you. If the light is in the background your camera will struggle to display your face. Think about where is the best lighting location at the specific time your group meets and test the spot out.
- Select the quietest place in your house (avoid turning your dishwasher or washer/dryer on right before group time)
- Make sure your camera on your laptop is angled correctly. Use a box nearby to elevate and level your camera on your laptop.
- Login to your meeting software to change default mic and camera (Preferences or Settings depending the platform). Knowing how to adjust mic/camera will save you from awkward pauses + you can help other group members out as well.
- Figure out how to use mute & unmute. The creator of the meeting can mute/unmute any participant, which is helpful thing to know upfront.
- Recommend group members to download meeting software prior to meeting and give it a test run. Most platforms have a mobile app or desktop software, which is easy to install, but does take time depending internet speeds.
- Keep safety in mind. Make your links password protected or by invite only.
JOIN OR START A LIFE GROUP
- JOIN an online LIFE Group: http://www.celebrate.church/life-groups/finder/
- HOST an online LIFE Group: https://www.celebrate.church/nextsteps/life-groups/host/