Stories & Wins
There is nothing more powerful than a changed life. Everyone has a story, and every story matters. We celebrate the WINS that are happening through Celebrate's locations and church plants. God is Good!
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Recently a pastor of care had a conversation with a guest: by having social media and streaming our sermons on Facebook live, we are able to reach such a wide variety of people, of all places. We have seen God using social media to heal lives and create relationships. Thank you to the creative team and all of the hard work that they do behind the scenes.
- A first time guest visited twice last month. He said they love Celebrate and plan to attend as long as they are able (they are from out of town). He cherishes Celebrate and the new friendships with the pastors.
- Billy attended for the first time as part of our Celebrate Freedom prison ministry. He was excited and plans on coming back next weekend with his wife and child!
- This month we received a story via our website: “Celebrate held my hand during devastation and tragedy. Remained by my side during the judgement of community. Pushed me not to give up when all I wanted to do was just that. Showed me true love and faithfulness. Love is to give yourself when someone needs you the most. Today, I give myself to others as I was taught by those at Celebrate.”
- A WIN shared from a leader, one weekend this month, we had a guest at service she was extremely shy and quiet. Another student who was in that service buddied up with her and by the end of service she left grinning from ear to ear and asking if she could come back. The children in our environments have as much influence as the adults. As leaders, we have the opportunity to help get the kids grasp this concept and help the ministry as a whole grow in relationships.
- This month, we had a little guy who was having such an incredible time playing in our Nursery environment and engaging with friends. When his mom came after service to pick him up he was not ready to go, he shed some tears and repeatedly tried to walk back into the room. What an incredible impact relationship has on even our smallest children and way to go team for creating an environment that is so welcoming!
- The KiDS team and our Celebrate summer interns went over to Terry Redlin and handed out popsicles and our summer family series flyer while extending personal invites to join us! We had such a great time getting to know our friends and serving them as they left school. God has called us to be the hands and feet of Jesus and to love his children, what an incredible opportunity we have to do this in our community!
- A grandmother of one of the children shared that she had asked her grandson what he had learned this week in church, he told her that he learned about not giving up because God is with me. She shared that this was really cool as he, the child has been struggling with learning to ride a bicycle and it created a good teaching moment between the two. It is so awesome to see that the lessons in faith that are taught on the weekends are carrying through in the lives of our children.
(* denotes churches in pre-launch phase)
Brandon, South Dakota
Celebrate Community Church
John & Dayna Semchenko
Launched September 11, 2016
- May was a busy month, but thanks to the amazing work of our staff and volunteers we were able to complete the nursery expansion and complete all the year-end reports.
- We had a men’s fellowship breakfast that was initiated by a men’s life group. Three groups were represented, with 21 men in attendance, 3 of which were invited and seeking to get into a group. We are looking forward to more events this summer to gather men.
- A team of three leaders attended a national training in Sioux City for Celebrate Recovery. They are in the planning and team building phase of a CR ministry in Brandon.
- Please pray for wisdom and humility as we head into the summer season. Praise God for all he is doing.
Canton, South Dakota
Sheldon & Jo Hovaldt
Launched September 10, 2006
- In May, we had our first baptism!
- We kicked off “Fires and Families” on May 7th – Family friendly environment for anyone who hears about it to join us for fellowship, a firepit & smores, kickball, bean bag toss, skateboard antics, and whatever else. It has been fun to get to know people not only from the church but others from the city who have come over.
- We now have permanent signage on the front of our building, and a cross in front of our building.
- Please pray that our “Fires and Families” will lead to a stronger community, growth for Celebrate of Canton, and stronger relationships among our congregation.
Dell Rapids, South Dakota
Quarry Rock Church
Milt & Maddie Borah
Launched September 10, 2006
- We celebrated graduates at Quarry Rock Church in May. God has His hand on our young adults and we are excited to see how their future unfolds.
- Mother’s Day was awesome! WE gave really nice devotionals and a scripture coffee cup to all the moms. Two husbands received Christ and committed to following Him and loving their wives like Christ loves us.
- Total of 8 people received Christ and surrendered their dreams and desires to chase after God’s plans and purposes.
- Pray for an amazing summer in Dells!
- Pray the time with Christian (Summer Intern) goes well and that God stirs an inferno in him about church planting.
Fargo, North Dakota
Wade & Chelsey Coffey
Launched February 3, 2019
- We had our whole team start reading “Letters to the Church” by Francis Chan. Great discussion is happening, and some are feeling convicted and prompted to being more open to what God wants to do in and through them and the church.
- We are praising God for the new guests who have returned and are interested in attending a Life Group and becoming a part of the church.
- We had awesome God opportunities with the Fargo marathon. There were great conversations during serving and lots of exposure from the impromptu wedding as well as the invocation.
- For God to continue to reveal to us His direction for Story Church in how we can become the church God desires-making a difference more like the early church in Acts did.
Lake Andes, South Dakota
Celebrate Lake Andes
Launched September 10, 2017
- We finished up the “Raceway” series. A series about running the race of life. It made for some interesting conversations after the services.
- Please pray that people would see Celebrate Lake Andes as their church home and step forward into more leadership.
Monte & Jody Gannon
Launched October 8, 2017
- We had 12 people make decisions for Christ!
- 23 people openly declared that Jesus is Lord of their life by getting baptized
- Our church families stepped up in a huge way and said “YES” to sponsoring 53 children through Compassion International.
- Pray for our summer series “Battleborn” as we unpack the Armor of God.
- Pray that many people will come and be transformed through the power of God and His Word.
Marv & Deanna Odegaard
Launched November, 2006
- Last month, was exciting for us as our attendance did not fall as people waited a little longer to go north.
- We had some new volunteers for serving after the service as well as ushering and helping with communion.
- Many People are sick with the flu and several with cancer needs.
San Rafael, Mexico
Celebrate Community Church
Eliud & Brenda Garza
Launched October 14, 2012
- Easter Sunday was an amazing day for us. In our town every year, there is a festival from the Thursday-Saturday before Easter. It is a demonic tradition where people dress up as demons to represent how the demons rejoiced when Jesus was crucified. On Easter Sunday, we held our service in the city park. In a town of 3,000, we had 400 attend our service, and hundreds more hear the service as they were in the park with their families. We had special music, youth drama, and a party celebrating that Jesus conquered death.
- We are seeing how God is our Provider. We knew the Easter Service would be hard financially as we had to rent sound equipment and chairs. All of it was paid by people who gave above their normal giving and some fundraisers we did.
- We need to have one of our volunteer leaders step away from leadership. Pray for those conversations.
- Pray for my family as we get away for a few days to rest and prepare for the summer.
Yankton, South Dakota
Celebrate Community Church
Jeff & Alane Todd
Launched April 1 (Easter), 2017
- On May 2nd, Yankton hosted the National Day of Prayer event at City Hall. There were 16 people praying from 10 different churches. Four of the people praying were from Celebrate Yankton. It was a great representation to our community and unity in the body of Christ
- The Celebrate Youth team traveled down to Yankton on Mother’s Day and blessed us with a full music set for our Sunday gathering. We had 66 people join us, included some of the youth families who traveled down too Yankton. It was a wonderful time of worship and seeing the bigger picture of our Celebrate Family.
- In May, we had four different families from Sioux Falls join us who have been camping in the Yankton area. It’s been a blessing to have them and we look forward to more coming this summer.
- We are planning a baptism weekend, possibly out at the lake in Yankton. Pray for guidance and that people would take this step of faith.